I've updated this post with a different paper napkin. I'm always looking around on different retail sites to get ideas on crafts to make. For Easter and spring, I discovered the cutest decoupage bunnies on Grandinroad and knew my next project would be inspired by these.
The only problem - well, one of the problems I had was trying to find paper mache bunnies as large as these to decoupage. No such luck, so I had to make my own. And, I had intended to make two, but this project became so tedious and time consuming that I was happy when I finish the one!
To begin, I used a 2.1qt. soda bottle that I cut off the top opening. I would discover another problem in finding paper napkins I wanted to use - something springy and hopefully in purple - but that wasn't to be either. Although, I did find a flowery purple pattern at Party City online but didn't want to wait another week or more for them to arrive. So after looking in several stores, I settled on a design I found at Tuesday Morning.
Next, I added small rocks in the bottom of the bottle to give weight to the bunny and also stuffed the cavity with plastic bags so the sides would not cave in like they did when I washed the bottle.
With a picture of the bunnies to look at, I began shaping the structure with masking tape, using a paper mache egg for the head (wrapped in a plastic bag), and clothes hanger wire for the ears. I also used a portion of a toilet paper tube to extend the neck.
And used folded paper towels to shape the bunny legs and feet.
And also used them to increase the bottom area of the bunny . . .
and to cover the ears.
The masking tape that I used to secure the paper towels was rather old and kept coming loose.
But it was snowing outside so going after new tape was not an option for me.
Once I was satisfied with the bunny's shape and foundation, I mixed up a paper mache paste - one part water, one part flour and a pinch of salt.
I had a large roll of white drawing paper that I torn up in small strips and started gluing them on to the frame.
After I finished gluing on the first layer, I placed the bunny in the oven set on 200 degrees to dry. Laying the bunny down in the oven flatten the backside so I didn't put it back in the oven anymore.
After that, I added two more layers using a blow dryer first and then letting it air dry overnight each time.
After drying, I added a coat of mod podge to seal the entire structure.
To decoupage the bunny, begin by removing the two layers of backing of the napkin to expose the single printed side.
Tear out the portion of pattern you want to use making sure there are no hard lines or straight edges. Using a sponge brush, apply mod podge to the paper mache area and then lay the napkin piece on top, smoothing it out with the brush. I also like to use plastic wrap to gently smooth out any additional wrinkles.
Continue applying the napkins in this manner, slightly overlapping each piece as you continue to cover the bunny.
Allow to dry once the bunny is completely covered with the napkins.
And finally, seal the dried bunny with a brush on clear varnish or sealant.
I am really excited about how amazing this bunny looks.
*But wait! I found a purple print paper napkin that goes more with my décor!
So, I covered the bunny with a white primer paint.
And then decoupage on the new napkins the same as before!
Doesn't this look so much better!
And I added a bow!
Oh, I'm loving this look!
Take a little time to enjoy