It was fun showing the ladies in my craft class how to make a German Bell ornament and tassel during our "Let's Get Crafty" session recently. It's so simple to make but looks rather elegant. Here's how:
For the ornament:
Using wrapping paper glued to cardstock as a decorative pattern:
1. Cut the paper into a twelve inch square for a large ornament or for a smaller version, a six or eight inch square.
2. Fold (make crisp or sharp folds) the square in half, open and turn in opposite direction (ninety degrees) and fold again. Open square.
3. Fold diagonally into a triangle, matching corners. Open and turn in opposite direction (ninety degrees) and fold diagonally in half again. Open square.
4. Take a corner edge and meet the center crease line and fold.
5. Take the opposite corner edge and meet the center crease line and fold creating a kite shape.
6. Open and repeat with each corner four times. Check each set of folds (4) to be sure no folds were missed. The paper should take on a star-like shape.
7. Push the middle center inward with your fingers forming four points while cupping the star-like shape together in the palm of hand.
8. The four point come together to form a bell. Glue the top three points together, leaving an opening to run a tassel or hanging cord through the middle.
9. Make a small hole in bottom center for tassel or hanging cord.
To Make A Tassel:
Take crochet thread and wrap it around a piece of cardboard approximately 48 times. The height of the cardboard will measure the length of the tassel. So if the cardboard is three inches tall, the tassel will be three inches long. The quantity of times the thread is wrapped around will determine the thickness of the tassel.
Cut a piece of thread about 18" long and make a loop (slip) and place under the wrapped threads.
Double loop the thread through, pulling tightly at the top.
Remove the wrapped threads from the card and evenly cut the loops at the bottom.
Place additional thread at a fingers mark from loop and wrap around several times and tie into a knot. Thread ends into the eye of a needle and pull knot ends and needle down through the center of the tassel to hide the knot.
Thread the top tassel cording through the eye of a needle or use wire to run cording through the bottom hole, and up the center and out the top by the points.
Glue remaining point and side of bell and string on decorative beads and knot.
Smaller versions using 8" scrape book paper.
This is really a beautiful, and easy ornament to make for Christmas!
Take a little time to enjoy
Happy Holiday Crafting!
Linking to: inspire me monday