I was not interested in putting the pillow together on my sewing machine. I wanted to make something anyone could do just by using fabric, ribbon and glue. This is how I made my knockoff pillow:
Using a white heavy duty cotton remnant, 32" x 45" I found at JoAnn's for $2.50, I measured out the dimensions of the pillow at 28"L X 15"H adding 1/2" seam allowance to three sides. (I folded the fabric over for three open sides instead of cutting it making four sides)
With right sides together, I used heat n bond to fuse the two ends together. Once cooled, I turned the pillow inside out.
Next, I took black/white pattern ribbon and glued it around the pillow at the seams with Fabri-Tac fabric glue, one side at a time. Then I added adhesive backed ribbon beside the glued ribbon, smoothing and pressing down and around.
Making the flowers proved a bit daunting. I had to "play" around with making them visually using colors of ribbon and satin fabric (mostly purples) I had in my stash. I cut a few flower patterns out of the satin fabric and passed them over an open candle flame to prevent fraying. But mainly I just twisted, folded and rolled the ribbon until I was satisfied with the look of trying to duplicate the flowers. I know I said this is a no sew pillow and I did baste some of the flowers together. I glued most of the flowers together and those I basted could be glued, too. I was really experimenting with ways to make the flowers. You can find lots of tutorials on making ribbon flowers online so I'm not going into details. I must say that practicing how to make them a few times was very helpful.
Once all the flowers were made, I laid them out, first on a table and then on the fabric pillow case. I didn't want the black (didn't have black anyway) borders on my pillow so I glued a purple ribbon border on the top instead. I then glued the stems on, and added the flowers, one at a time.
After gluing all the flowers and stems on, I made leaves by cutting out freehand oval shapes and passing the edges over a flame. By folding the leaf together and holding it over the flame and pressing together, a more defined line, fabric curvature and leaf look occurred. After all the leaves were glued on, I added the bottom purple ribbon border.
I used poly fiber fill to stuff the pillow cover. A form that size, if I could find one, would be too costly.
After stuffing the pillow I sealed it together by adding glue to the seams and holding it together with clips until dry. Sewing the closing seam together might have been easier and neater to do, but like I said, I wanted this to be a no sew project. And I loved how it turned out!
The finished pillow is really stunning!
And it looks amazing on my patio furniture.
I have no intentions of leaving this pillow out to the elements. I don't leave my cushions out so I know I won't with the pillow either. I have an outdoor fabric spray that seals fabric. All the ribbon I used was 100% polyester, but I don't know how the satin would react. I'm not taking any chances. I'm just satisfied I could create something similar to the pillow I so admired.
Hope this has been inspiring for you, too!
Take a little time to enjoy