Out of failures, surprises come forth! The following is a revamp of what I wrote earlier, so please forgive me if you took the time to read this post before. I think the tutorial is worth going over again. Many useful items can be made out of this application. Just use your imagination.
I needed to add a few pictures of failure to succeed. It all started with wanting to make one more item for my fall decor (if that's possible), I mean one more item? Really, I wanted to make one of those grapevine pumpkins (with lights) only I would TRY to make it out of hemp.
It just wasn't in the cards for me to succeed.
First off, I needed a balloon or ball, glue and hemp to make this work. I couldn't find a round ball to buy that was reasonably priced, so I opted for a large balloon. Cheap, right? Well, usually when you blow up a balloon it's either oval or round in shape. Who would have thought I ended up with an elongated neck balloon. Who sells those anyway? Party City that's who! Now, I'm stuck with this shape so I go on hoping I can make it work.
Next, my plan was to devise a method of putting glue (actually,modge podge) in a bowl and pulling the hemp through the modge podge and carefully wrapping the balloon with the glue soaked hemp.
|Balloon is in the sink ready to be wrapped.|
Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. The glue soaked hemp was very slippery against the balloon. I had a time trying to wrap the balloon. I couldn't take pictures because glue was everywhere - what a mess! I had to tie the beginning end of the hemp around the mouth of the balloon closure. Still, at first, I couldn't get a tight enough wrap. Finally, positioning the balloon sideways, I was able to get a better grip. I concluded that this is a two person task. Whew!
My plan of pulling the hemp through the glue didn't work either. Ever so often, I would unwrap small amounts of hemp into the bowl of glue, saturating the hemp before wrapping. I couldn't put too much hemp in the bowl because it would get tangled. I ran out of hemp (I got it from my husband's work bench) before I finished. In the end there were a lot of open areas I would have liked to cover, but I wasn't in the mood to go out and buy any more hemp so I just carried on with the project.
In hopes of making the "pumpkin" stronger, I took a sponge brush and saturated the balloon completely with the glue.
Then I hung it in the garage overnight.
The next day, the hemp was completely dry and hard so I popped the balloon. I was able to remove most of the remnants of the balloon, but you could see a film of glue throughout the openings. It was relatively easy to remove but very time consuming.
OK, I know you must be laughing by now - and saying, "that doesn't look like a pumpkin. Ha, ha, ha!" You would be absolutely correct!
It's a GOURD,
and some gourds are really funny looking, like this one.
Anyway, I tried!
But, then I decided to add some decorative leaves to the gourd and this is how it looks now . . .
Not too shabby. I think I might add some lights after all!