I've been looking at this starfish bowl from the Z Gallerie for some time now, trying to figure out the best way to re-create it. I first saw a picture of it posted by Sunny for her Great Glitzy Hack-Off. I just knew someone would make it, but no one did. I looked at the price of starfish at craft stores and they were way too expensive. I could buy the bowl outright for what I probably would have to spend just to make it.
Then I read about Amanda's tutorial on making starfish and I knew this would be the best way to go. I mentioned it to Amanda and she said it was a "brilliant" idea. Ha! I had no idea what I was getting into. You see, when I set out to make something I want it to be hurry up and over with. I can't wait for the finish product. I'm always thinking of "short-cuts" and have to remind myself to go step by step. And that is what I had to do in attempting to make this bowl. First, follow Amanda's instructions for making the toilet paper pulp.
For the armature I used 20gauge floral stem wire and covered it with masking tape. I made the form as thin as possible.
Next, I tried applying the pulp to the
form. I added gorilla glue to the mix hoping the pulp would stick better. What a mess! Sorry, I didn't take a picture of me trying to "add" the pulp to the taped form, but my hands were very yucky. The more I plopped the pulp on it, the more of a mess I made. Nothing was sticking or working.
Then I decided to "roll" the pulp
between my floured hands and wrap it around the form.
I continue wrapping the armature with the pulp, shaping the starfish with my fingers. I then pressed lines and tiny round marks into the starfish to give it a bit more character.
Next, using Liquid Nails Glue and clamps, starting at the base, I began shaping the bowl. This was a slow process. I could only glue and clamp a few starfish at a time. The glue needed to "cure" for at least 24 hours.
I tried speeding the process up, but I didn't have enough clamps to keep the form secure. The glue had a 30 minute "set" time, but when I removed a clamp to use on another spot, the glued area would come apart. It took me about four days to secure with the glue and clamps all of the starfish into a bowl form, and then, allowing it to dry completely.
My bowl is approximately, 111/2" x 4", and the starfish are linked to form a "unique openwork bowl", too!
That's pretty darn close I would say . . . . and to me, that's amazing!